Tonight American Idol returns to Fox with the Performance Show and our Top 7 take the stage. It will be the same group as last week after the judges saved Jessica Sanchez. Stand by as we live blog the show with all the up-to-the-minute details.
On last week’s show in a “shock and awe” moment, the three contestants who did very well last night; Elise Testone, Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez were in the bottom three tonight and after the nationwide vote, Jessica Sanchez was up for elimination. The judges decided to use their one and only save and they saved her. If you missed the episode you can read our full and detailed recap here!
Left in the competition are: Hollie Cavanagh; Elise Testone; Phillip Phillips; Skylar Laine; Joshua Ledet; Colton Dixon and Jessica Sanchez. My favorite performer from last week was Colton Dion. You can check out his performance from last week here!
This week each contestant will be on the American Idol stage twice, the theme for this week is Now and Then. The “singers” have to pick a #1 hit song from 2000-2012 and then sing an older soul song.
Thursday night’s results show will feature performances by LMFAO singing their hit “Sorry for Party Rocking,” and Season 8 winner Kris Allen performing his new single, “The Vision of Love.”
Who are you excited to see perform tonight? Who are your rooting for? Sound out in the comments and let us know!
We will be live blogging ‘The Performance Show’ with all the up-to-the-minute details at 8 PM EST so make sure to come back to this spot and watch the show with us. Refresh often to get the latest updates!
RECAP: So they start tonight’s episode by showing a clip of Jessica watching herself in last week’s episode and at the end of it, they write “It’s a new beginning for everyone”. What am I missing? As far as I knew, it was only Jessica that was saved. Ryan Seacrest pays homage, ever so briefly, to Dick Clark who passed away today. Each contestant will sing a song from the year 2000 to now and a soul song from back in the day. The Idol hopefuls are listed in order of appearance.
1. Hollie Cavanaugh is first tonight and Jimmy gives her advice, he tells her to focus and stay away from everyone before she goes on stage. Hollie is singing, “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele. Judges Comments: Steven said, “You finally came out of your shell and stepped it up, it was perfect.”. Jennifer said, “I am so happy you just felt that song, you did it.” Randy said, “I am not going to say it was perfect, a few notes were pitchy, for the first time ever you had feeling and emotion, you arrived, very well done.”
2. Colton Dixon is thrilled because Ryan calls his sister up on stage, she also auditioned but she didn’t make it to the show – she tells Ryan how proud she is of her brother. Jimmy thinks Colton needs to really try to pull out the high notes from the bottom of his sole tonight. Colton feels like he is taking on a new monster tonight, but he is not going change who is is. Colton is singing “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga. Judges Comments: Steven said, “I know you got to get low to get high, I loved your outfit and your set, keep taking chances and risks and doing what you are doing. Jennifer said, “It was an exciting performance, but there were parts I loved and parts I didn’t.” Randy said, “We were just at the Colton Dixon concert there, you are so in the zone but I don’t think this was the best performance, your voice was a little too low, but job well done.”
3. Elise Testone maybe feeling like the underdog, according to Jimmy who also thinks she doesn’t have a massive fan base so she needs to be great week to week and cannot afford to slip at all. Elise is singing, “No One” by Alicia Keys. Judges Comments: Steven said, “I loves your voice but I was wishing you would have picked a different song, it was still delicious.” Jennifer said, “We push others to do what you do so naturally, I got my first goosies of the night. When you smile and sing your eyes come alive, it’s like a light bulb.” Randy said, “You have a strong voice, I think you sang it well and stayed with the melody because this song sings itself, I think you were very good.”
4. Phillip Phillips hasn’t been in the bottom three yet, Jimmy can’t believe he picks up his guitar again. Jimmy is nervous about the song, but loves Phillip’s interpretation. Phillip is singing “You Got It Bad” by Usher. (Phillip gets the first standing ovation of the night) Judges Comments: Steven said, “You fool us all the way down the line, you have melody now, the band was great, just great.” Jennifer said, “That was so sexy (Phillip is blushing) and I love when you show that side of you, a great singer can sing any song and you most certainly are.” Randy said, “I smile every time I see you because this year we have a true artist on the stage, you are always original and yourself, you don’t need to listen to anyone.”
5. Jessica Sanchez was on the brink of losing everything last week and Jimmy doesn’t think she deserved to be there, even if she sang, “Yankee Doodle Dandy”. This week Jimmy wants her to really feel the music and reconnect with the audience, she will either blow our minds or she won’t. Jessica is singing, “Falling” by Alicia Keys. Judges Comments: Steven said, “With talent like yours, you need to get mad in a song, the passion that you released tells everyone in America how great you are.” Jennifer said, “When you start singing and play with the song, it’s crazy and insane, I am glad we used our only save on you, good job.” Randy said, “I hope America supports you this week, I don’t think you even know how good you are.”
6. Skylar Laine was not in the bottom three last week and Jimmy thinks she can be a front runner. Jimmy gives thinks she is going to do a great job. Skylar sings, “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga. Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “OMG, I loved that version, a more perfect song for you doesn’t exist, it was perfect, three weeks in a row.” Steven said, “I am so glad you were born that way, you are giving the other girls in this competition a run for your money, I really enjoyed it.” Randy said, “That cross over appeal that you have, you are so beyond ready to me, it was just amazing.
7. Joshua Ledet doesn’t know why he was in the bottom three last week and Jimmy tells him he needs to look within himself and find out why. Joshua’s biggest inspiration in his life has been former Idol, Fantasia Barrino. Joshua sings, “I believe” by Fanstasia. Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “You leave it all on the stage every time, it’s all of you, it’s amazing to watch, I feel blessed that I get to watch you every week.”Steven said, “This is just a stepping song to you winning the whole thing, you could sing the phone book, great.” Randy said, “I loved that you picked a song that you believed in, you are truly one of the greatest gifted singers on this show, you pulled back with this song and it touched us, that is the mark of true growth, love you.”
1. Hollie Cavangh gets a special message of congratulations by the Liverpool football club. Hollie is singing, “Son Of A Preacher Man” by Dusty Springfield.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “You did better than the first song, you are ready.” Steven said, “I see it too, I hear it first and think you can even push it more, you have the voice and the vehicle, come on, push it over the top.” Randy said, “You dug in, that was crazy dude, that song has so much soul and you worked it out.”
2. Colton Dixon singing, “September” by Earth, Wind and Fire.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “I love you voice but it was too powerful for that song.” Steven said, “I love that song, you did a different arrangement, but it wasn’t perfect fit, I am not sure it was the perfect performance for you.”
Randy said, “It wasn’t the perfect song to do with that, if you had taken a Little Wayne song, but this wasn’t as exciting as we would have liked.
3.Elise Testone singing, “Lets Get It On” by Marvin Gaye.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “You always sounds so good that is hard to critique you, I would just like to see more emotion out of you so American can connect to you, you have great vocal talent, but you missing the connection, just show your heart.” Steven said, “You broke a few more hearts, your voice is so good but you need to find those few songs that wins everyone’s hearts.” Randy said, “You definitely got to show the emotion, that song choice was really not good for you, I think you don’t know what is good for your voice, Marvin Gaye did this and it was so simple.”
4. Phillip Phillips singing, “I’m Going To Wait For The Midnight Hour” by Wilson Picket.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “You make me want to get up there and do that little step with you, it’s a feeling and it’s the soul, it’s great.” Steven said, “Everybody loves you because of who you are, brilliantly awkward.” Randy said, “Exactly what you need is exactly what you have, you let the song breath, you show emotion every time, I love it.”
5. Jessica Sanchez singing, “Try A Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “We got a little bit of your alter ego, after last week we really have to start pushing your performances, America has to connect with you because just the voice is not going to do it.” Steven said, “Good god almighty, bless my soul, you have done it again. Come on girl.” Randy said, “Absolutely correct, you just need to connect with the emotion in the lyrics, that is what the public responds to.”
6. Sklylar Laine singing, “Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “The audience just relates to you, you are doing a great job up there in the past few weeks, you should be proud.” Steven said, “You are like a wild horse that just cannot be tamed.” Randy said, “This is interesting, you and Phillip have no problem connecting and feeling, it was brilliant, every time you are on stage it’s a party, I love that.”
7. Joshua Ledet singing, “A Change Is Going To Come” by Sam Cooke.
Judges Comments: Jennifer said, “It’s crazy, I still wanted more at the end, I just love you.” Steven said, “You have stressed your voice to the limits of soul, that’s what made it so big when it popped, that’s what it is all about.”
Randy said, “This song was perfect for you, you took your time then you burst it open at the end, it was just stellar and the talent this year is better than any show on tv.”
There are three notable stars tonight, Hollie, Elise and Phillip. I still think Jessica is too generic and the judges save may just not save her this week. Who do you think is at the top and who should be sent home? Sound off your comments below and don’t forget to come back tomorrow night when someone’s Idol dream will end. Let’s hope Ryan doesn’t give viewers a little surprise elimination, ya know… Jessica saved last week, so two go home tomorrow? Stay tuned to find out if it’s one or two.