I can’t believe my ears, but Heath Ledger is dead. A New York Police Department spokesman says the actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at an apartment in SOHO.
At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of Mr. Ledger’s bedroom. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger unconscious. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities. The police said they did not suspect foul play. Officials said pills were found near the body.
When paramedics responded, the actor was in full cardiac arrest. They attempted to perform CPR on him, but were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Update: Cops tell TMZ Heath Ledger’s death was accidental. The medical examiner has not yet arrived, meaning heath is currently still in the apartment.
Heath Ledger had a substance abuse problem. A Ledger confidante tells TMZ he had been clean for a year.
“Pills were found in the vicinity of the bed,” police spokesman Paul Browne told CNN.
“This is being looked at as a possible overdose, but that is not confirmed yet.”
The pills appeared to be over-the-counter sleeping medication, said police spokeswoman Barbara Chen.